[lbo-talk] Verso developments

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 12 16:49:47 PDT 2006

Strange goings-on at Verso. Though several fine people have tried to carry on in recent years, the house has been a bit wobbly ever since they fired Colin Robinson in the fall of 2001. (Disclosure alert: Colin's a good friend of mine, and he took a gamble on me when he asked me to do Wall Street for them when I was even more obscure than I am now.) In recent weeks, the entire New York office has resigned, and a new crowd is moving in. They've hired a new US editor, described as follows by Giles O'Bryen, the London-based managing director of Verso, in an email just sent to Verso authors:
> Verso’s US operation will now be run by Gan Qi, who I am delighted
> to announce is joining Verso as Director of the New York Office. Qi
> is a vastly experienced publisher, who started and ran what became
> a substantial bookshop and publishing business in Beijing, with a
> list akin to Verso’s and a number of bestsellers to its name. In
> 2001 she moved to Seattle for a period of academic study, before
> returning to China to take up the post of Publishing Director at
> the Tom Publishing Group in early 2004. Qi starts at Verso on 18
> September, and I still can't quite believe how lucky we are to have
> her.
Gan Qi may be a very talented and wonderful publisher. But, as you can see, she has no experience at all in the US or British market. Her entire publishing history is in China. I have no idea where Verso is going, but given its longstanding importance to radical thought in the English-speaking world, I'm a little concerned.

Doug