[lbo-talk] NYT: U.S. Speeds Up Bomb Delivery for the Israelis

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 09:45:41 PDT 2006

> Seib writes in today's WSJ that the 1982 invasion of Lebanon was met with
> much more criticism in the US - so much so that Reagan pressed Begin &
> Sharon to pull back, unlike now, when the House passed an endorsement
> resolution 410-8. I don't remember 1982 well enough to know whether Seib
> was right. Anyone else?

> Doug

The '82 invasion was when I first began reading anything about the Middle East. But I recall there being very little domestic criticism, outside of Chomsky, Cockburn in his Press Clips column in the Voice, and surprisingly Nat Hentoff, who woke up to the realities at this time.

Yes, Reagan ordered Begin to stop, but only after the carnage got so bad that it began getting embarrassing for the US. As bad as Lebanon is getting hit now, it hasn't reach '82 levels -- yet.

Dennis