[lbo-talk] Hizbollah rockets put Israel's Arabs under fire

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 24 13:13:10 PDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 2:17 PM, ravi wrote:

> This stuff about Israeli Arabs being harmed by Hezbollah rockets seems
> at best a fruitless diversion. This is not to whitewash Hezbollah as
> entirely legitimate freedom-fighters. Rather, attempts to examine the
> details of Hezbollah action is a distraction from the real atrocities
> committed and being committed by Israel.

I'm not sure your second sentence follows from the first; it does look like a bit of a whitewash. There's no question that Israel is doing far more damage, human and infrastructural. Almost all of the stuff I've posted to this list has been critical of Israel, and there's not much danger of a Fox-ish "balance" taking hold. But what I wrote was specifically in response to "We're all Hezbollah now," which strikes me as an ugly, false, and alienating slogan.

Doug