[lbo-talk] Fwd: Notes from the Siege 9&10

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 27 04:20:05 PDT 2006

Actually, the error was mine, not Joanna's. I've also believed for some time that the Yiddish-speaking Jews in Eastern Europe constituted a nation, a part of which reconstituted itself as a Hebrew-speaking nation in Israel. Diaspora Jews do not share a common language, culture, territory, etc., although the Holocaust is still a fresh historical memory for them and the trauma it has engendered is the foremost reason for their support of Israel as an ultimate refuge. Hence, their self-identification a "nation" in exile, although the great majority are unwilling to "return" to Israel, primarily because its language and culture is not their own.

Zeev was Jabotinsky's Hebrew name, Vladimir his Russian. I think he is mostly known by the former now.