[lbo-talk] violent crime up

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Thu Jun 15 13:26:09 PDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:06 AM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> The protection involved in the 2A is not the
> protection, if any, involved in _having_ to own a gun
> and belong to a militia; it is the protection involved
> in the _right_ (which may or may not be exercised,
> without any suggestion of dereliction of
> responsibility) in the context of a well-organized
> militia -- something a free state ought to have, but
> which again is not indicated by the 2A to be a
> citizen's obligation.

Your 'well organized militia' is presently in Iraq, killing civilians (among other atrocities). They are soldiers of the USG, not a citizen militia. And I didn't say that anyone had an obligation to own a gun - I said that they had an obligation to protect and defend freedom (organizing a resistance). Don't practitioners in your profession have a similar oath?

The BOR and the second amendment simply resolves that the people shall not be deprived of any tools that they need to execute their obligation.

Ya' can't do nothin' wrong ... !

sez martin.