Spooks (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 19:58:46 PDT 2006

I grew up with a lot of spooks -- the parents of many of my my friends in HS. (My own dad was star warrior, did ballistic missile defense analysis most if his career, and hated it for the latter half.) Most of the spooks were not psychos or even Mission Impossible types. About half of them were analysts -- they did, basically, area studies scholarship, only for the gov't instead of the university.

The ex-ops were mostly pleasant, intelligent, but mostly rather dull people who'd been "cultural attaches" from the "State Dep't" and worked in foreign embassies, no doubt, like the (very nice) parents of a dear friend who'd be stationed in S & C America, implicated in horrors, but definitely not demented. The Agency discourages dementia except in counterintelligence.

The one real covert ops type I was pretty close to and knew as such, had been instrumental in the overthrow of Mossadeq on Iran, etc., spent my HS years drinking himself to death, something he managed to do by my sophomore year of college; he found it hard to live with what he'd done. He was a lush but not a nut case.

The real point, Carl, is the problem is a bad system, not bad people. It's a system that takes nice patriotic, interesting, sane people like my friend's dad Robert and turns them into killers or people complicit with killers who can't sleep right ever after.