Spooks (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 02:45:33 PDT 2006

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>I grew up with a lot of spooks ...
>
>The ex-ops were mostly pleasant, intelligent, but
>mostly rather dull people ...
>
>The real point, Carl, is the problem is a bad system,
>not bad people. It's a system that takes nice
>patriotic, interesting, sane people ...
>
>--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You know, I've met a few people in the past who
> > wanted to work for the CIA. Not especially
> > right-wing in outlook, more like some sort of comic
> > book conception of things, not far from the kind of
> > Asian-Buddha-master-ninja-special-forces crank kind
> > of person (Stephen Seagal) ...

Be they dullards or comic book heroes, people who who want to be spies axiomatically have a tenuous and malign grasp of reality. They aren't scholars interesting in amassing knowledge about different peoples that bridges cultural gaps in any productive way. They are people eager to weaponize information and advance imperial causes. Since they spend their entire lives in disguise, it's not at all surprising that they come across as "mostly pleasant" -- that's what being a psychopath is all about. They are the devil's henchmen.

Carl