[lbo-talk] Noonan: the party pros hate their bases

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 22 13:27:43 PDT 2006

The Democratic leadership is politically to the right of its base and ever concerned that the demands of its activists will cost it votes, but I wouldn't get too carried away with the notion that it has a "hate" on for its supporters, even though it may conform to some of our prejudices.

The DP politicians and officials very likely view their base with no more, no less, suspicion and condescension than the Republicans view their own base, the way leaders in most parties and other organizations tend to set themselves above and apart from their followers.

But Noonan, whose piece reads like one of her clever partisan speeches, has an interest in feeding her well-heeled constituency speaking notes showing that while the Republican unwashed are merely "boring", the Democratic hordes are "barking mad" - which is another way of saying why that party can't be trusted with government, despite the undeniable integrity, sound judgement, and unambiguously patriotic credentials of its leaders.