[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 09:11:23 PDT 2006

The American incarceration system is awful on average though quite variable. I've been in Cook Country Jail, no place to hang out, but not the Lubyanka either, Stateville Correctional, which is pretty damn Lubyanka-esque or Kafka-esque or both; two other state prisons, neither fun but not nightmarish; and the Federal Correctional Center in Chicago, which ranges from dormitory-like on the nicer floors to genuine gulag conditions in max security -- bars, the bed a slab of concrete without a mattress, no amenities except a broken exercise bike -- that's here the hold "terrorism" suspects who had the misfortune to raise money for Islamic charities. Out west and in the South there are sheriffs who house jailed pretrial detainees in tents in 110 degree heat and have short timers doing chain-gang work, I mean, chained together and supervised by guards on horseback with shotguns.

All that said, while I think our incarceration conditions are generally inhumane (they have been condemned as human rights violations by AI and HRW), and our incarceration rate is insane, I don't think that makes prisoners,w hether convicts or PTD, martyrs or heroes in general -- just victims of human rights violations, which is serious enough. There are some martyrs and heroes behind bars, but they are very few. Most prisoners are just poor suckers who need a lawyer.