[lbo-talk] Chechnya, Darfur, and Jewish Activism

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat May 6 08:49:07 PDT 2006

On 5/5/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think it's hard to argue genocide in the case of
> Chechnya, given that the population of the republic is
> higher than it was in 1994 (despite the outflow of the
> non-Chechens, which used to be 200,000 people, and a
> large number of Chechens).

True, but facts are irrelevant to genocide-mongers. Kosovo is a good example, and so is Darfur.

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >"Chechnya, Darfur, and Jewish Activism"
> ><http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/furuhashi050506.html>.
> >
> >Hey, MP, you have my permission to send this to Marc Cooper or anyone
> >else for that matter. Spread the word!
>
> Where you say:
>
> >Meanwhile, Vice President Dick Cheney "delivered the Bush
> >administration's strongest rebuke of Russia to date. He said the
> >Russian government 'unfairly and improperly restricted' people's
> >rights and suggested that it sought to undermine its neighbors and
> >to use the country's vast resources of oil and gas as 'tools of
> >intimidation or blackmail'" ("Strong Rebuke for the Kremlin From
> >Cheney," New York Times 4 May 2006), presenting no evidence
> >whatsoever. Of course, his motive has nothing to do with human
> >rights and everything to do with Moscow's refusal to agree to the US
> >demand for sanctions or military strikes on Iran.
>
> I think that's just part of a larger problem, from Washington's POV:
> Russia is no longer on its back, as it was during the Yeltsin years,
> taking stupid advice from Harvard economists and impotent in
> international relations. Note how Cheney complained about Russian
> energy "blackmail" - Russia has become a power in a field that the US
> likes to dominate. These troglodytes can become cold warriors all
> over again!

I agree with you in part. Washington has problems with Putin's ability to combat the worst oligarchical excesses. And Russia's economic recovery gives Putin the economic basis from which to pursue an independent foreign policy. But Russia's economic recovery has been going on for some time. What's new here is a standoff over Iran.

On 5/6/06, Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:
> a lesson:
> it's important to be _very_ careful, avoiding even the appearance of
> criticizing Judaism, Jewishness, or Jews (as such). It's also very
> important to be conscious of this problems when criticizing Israel or
> Israeli Jewish nationalism (i.e., Zionism). This is because fools
> will rush in to accuse you of "anti-Semitism" and because they will
> receive a lot of attention from the pro-Israel lobby -- and because
> that lobby is well-organized and does have a lot of influence (based
> primarily in the importance of Israel to U.S. imperial goals and
> strategies).

I've taken no less care of not appearing to criticize Jews as such than I've taken care of not appearing to criticize Arabs as such, Muslims as such, whites as such, Americans as such, etc. It would be odd to take more care than usual in the Jewish case.

BTW, some of the people who anti-Semite-baited me probably did so because they knew of my participation in the Palestinian solidarity movement. Here's what one of them says on a blog (at <http://www.engageonline.org.uk/blog/comment.php?id=393>):

Groups that endorsed the Ohio conference included: Al-Awda Chicago; AWARE, a NJ-NY activist forum which claims that support for Israel is support for "racism, apartheid and terror;" and SUSTAIN (Stop US Tax-Funded Aid to Israel Now), a coalition of student and non-student activists that sees the divestment campaign as part of a "global intifada." Yoshie Furuhashi, a CJP activist who feels that PSM [Palestine Solidarity Movement] should oppose suicide bombings, stated that Israel's Law of Return, which allows Jews to immigrate to the country, is "the practice of Jewish supremacy, much like white supremacy in US and South African histories."

see: www.tau.ac.il/Anti-Semitism/asw2003-4/general-analysis.htm</blockqutoe>

That's why Arab-bashing is fair game. I've blogged about it yesterday: "Why Liberals Love to Hate Rich Arabs" <http://montages.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-liberals-love-to-hate-rich-arabs.html>.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>