[lbo-talk] Chechnya, Darfur, and Jewish Activism

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 12:47:58 PDT 2006

Yoshie: > I've taken no less care of not appearing to criticize Jews as such than I've taken care of not appearing to criticize Arabs as such, Muslims as such, whites as such, Americans as such, etc. It would be odd to take more care than usual in the Jewish case.<

my point was it's useful to know the character of the power structure (given today's balance of powers) and to know that even _appearing_ to be anti-Semitic will bring down a sh*t-storm of foolishness.

left out of my previous missive because I didn't have time: Some criticize the phenomenon of "identity politics" as being standard "special interest" pleading, etc. What's interesting is that pro-Israeli nationalism is one of the most successful forms of identity politics. Because it's so successful, criticizing it is often seen as racist (anti-Semitic) even among the general U.S. population (outside the circle of us leftoid fringies).

JD