[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue May 16 13:24:59 PDT 2006

On 5/16/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:

> At around 16/5/06 1:51 pm, Charles Brown wrote:
> > Chris Doss
> >
> > Hey, Jerry was going to town for several days
> > ridiculing Ravi and Justin (and for a while myself,
> > until I decided it wasn't worthless) for having the
> > temerity to think something other than he does.
> >
> > ^^^^^^
> > CB; I read most of this thread, and I disagree that this is what Jerry
> did.
> >

> Jerry, who seems an otherwise decent sort and amiable chap, wrote this:
>
> > I hear a lot of contempt for the thinking of fundamentalist
> > Christian's from most of my fellow intellectuals, but nothing can
> > match the wilful stupidity of those who actually think that Heidegger
> > has anything at all to contribute to intellectual culture.
>
> He already knew that I am one of those who thinks that Heidegger has
> something (Hell, I will go ahead and say he is among the top 10, to me,
> from the 20th century to have something) to contribute. I think Justin
> had written about his respect for Heidegger too, before Jerry posted the
> above. In essence, Jerry is accusing me (and Justin and Chris) of wilful
> stupidity.

Let me apologize for the wilful stupidity quote. The statement was tone-deaf and overblown, to say the least..

I did not refer to anyone personally. If I had to write the words over again I would have written wilful blindness because I do believe that Heidegger's philosophy forms a kind of "blinkers" making people blinds to aspects of history, science, archeology, etc.

I also believe, both from my political experience organizing on campus and from my political experience in the Central American solidarity movement, that Heideggerians are less likely to be moved to support the kind of social movements I prefer than many fundamental Christians. I also think that Heidegger tends to blind people.

That said Ravi called me out immediately on this phrase at the very beginning of this thread and I believe he was correct to do so. But if I truly believe that Heidegger makes people less intelligent than they would otherwise be, (sort of like joining the RCP) how do I express this without insulting you?

I have since realized that Jerry (based on other messages, including

-- Jerry Monaco's Philosophy, Politics, Culture Weblog is Shandean Postscripts to Politics, Philosophy, and Culture http://monacojerry.livejournal.com/

His fiction, poetry, weblog is Hopeful Monsters: Fiction, Poetry, Memories http://www.livejournal.com/users/jerrymonaco/

Notes, Quotes, Images - From some of my reading and browsing http://www.livejournal.com/community/jerry_quotes/ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060516/c31b8c51/attachment.htm>