[lbo-talk] "The Authentic"? was ....Grappling....

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 07:20:33 PDT 2006

Wittengenstein had good things to say about Heidegger, by the way, specifically the notion of Angst. I think that and his positive attitudes toward religion and mysticism helped alienate him from the Vienna Circle.

In Heidegger specifically, authenticity (Erschlossenheit, which does not translate literally as "authenticity") is a technical term refering to when the perceived available life-possibilities coincide with the real available life-possibilities. This is why it is connected to truth, and to death and finitude, and to being-one's-self.

Why should I have to use a word in conformity with the tyranny of ordinary praxis? There is no English or German word conveying the meaning "when the perceived available possibilities coincide with the real available possibilities." Unless I want to write the whole thing out every time, isn't a term a good idea? And which ordinary praxis anyway? The word "energy" as used by the layman does not mean the same thing as the word "energy" as used by a physicist in the course of an experiment. If one never stepped outside ordinary practice, there would be no novelty.

Aristotle is like this too, you know. In fact I think that's where Heidegger gets a lot of his neologizing and teasing out meanings from word-roots and so forth -- following his intellectual model. Aristotle does exactly the same thing. He's got like 2 or 3 neologisms a page. You don't see this in English translations, because the words used to translate the neologisms are Anglicizations of the Latin neologisms that were first used by the Romans for the staggeringly difficult task of translating Aristotle into classical Latin -- "energy," "essence," actuality," and so forth -- and are now standard English words.