[lbo-talk] jury duty/Real expertise

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 12:41:28 PDT 2006

My son was never definitely diagnosed with schizophrenia. Instead, it was a somewhat milder version, schizotypal something personality disorder (http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-pe03.html) or something like that. The psychiatrist was never exactly sure.

FWIW, he was "hearing voices" and having very strong hallucinations. But I always interpreted that as an aspect of his autism/Asperger's syndrome. The psychiatrist disagreed, putting him on two anti-psychotics (Abilify and Risperdol, where the former was supposed to eventually replace the latter).

One problem with generalizing from one's social connections is that it's easy to over-generalize. When we found out about our son's Asperger's, suddenly it seemed that large numbers of kids had it, simply because we were more aware of the problem (and started leading a support group for parents of AS kids).

I don't know about schizophrenia, but boys are more likely to be diagnosed as having AS than are girls. This is partly because girls can "get away with" having AS more easily because passive, following, behavior is more socially acceptable for girls (for better or for worse). However, that isn't the whole explanation by any means, since classical (hard-core, Kanner's) autism is more likely to hit boys, too. (It's like a 4 to 1 ratio.)

One explanation is that boys are physically more fragile (according to THE BABY BOY BOOK, among other places). And it's possible that environmental pollutants are one (though hardly the only) cause of autism and AS.

It's also possible that some or many cases of autism or AS are diagnosed as schizophrenia. After all, having autism encourages one to live in one's own little world, long after most kids have dumped their imaginary playmates and the like. Of course, autism and schizophrenia may also be "co-morbid" conditions and they may both be encouraged by environmental pollutants.