[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 14:32:25 PDT 2006

Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote: Fair enough, Doug, but continuing the discussion of Hofstadter, the point of Rogin et al is that the orgins of "McCarthyism" (note the quotation marks) were not with what you call the "toiling masses." This offers the possibility that mass movements from below might be seen more optimistically than Hofstadter and his gang saw them. Relate to Daniel Bell's "pluralism," which is explicitly agreement among LEGITIMATE interests, rejecting popular participation.

Man, I used to buy this lefty line. But I've come to realize that even if McCarthyism and other right wing phenomena originated with elites, they never would have taken hold without active and energetic popular support. Wasn't it Thomas Ferguson who said that lefty celebrations of historical "movements from below" suffer from a colossal inability to get to the point?

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061010/992313b7/attachment.htm>