[lbo-talk] Project Pompous ;-)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:36:11 PDT 2006

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>>
>Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:15 PM, ravi wrote:
> >
> > > The font alone is enough to despise the guy ;-).
>
>I'm not particularly interested in Posner, but what's wrong with the
>font? With my damaged eyes I could read it more clearly than I can many
>web sites.

I think Ravi's objecting to the highfalutin gothic text used in the headline "Project Posner." One of the inspired touches about the late Walt Kelly's classic comic strip "Pogo," set in Okefenokee Swamp, was the pious and censorious character Deacon Mushrat, who spoke in caption balloons using gothic lettering. At one point during the early '60s heydey of the John Birch Society, "Pogo" chronicled the Deacon's efforts to purge the Okefenokee of anti-Americanism via his own creation, the "Jack Acid Society."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo>

Carl