[lbo-talk] Paranoid Styles, Soviet and American (was Hamas "a project of Shin Bet")

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Oct 22 17:18:59 PDT 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:35:49 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> On Oct 22, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Jim Farmelant wrote:
>
> > Responding to Joanna, I don't think that anyone here is saying
> > that Bettina's allegations should be dismissed out of hand
> > out of hand, but basing such allegations on "recovered memories"
> > seems to be frail basis for supporting allegations that at
> > best would tarnish a person's reputation, and which at
> > worst, if they had been made while Herbert was still alive,
> > could have sent him to prison.
>
> Paul Shanley, the Massachusetts priest, was convicted entirely on
> the
> basis of recovered memory <http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/
> September-October-2004/feature_wypijewski_sepoct04.msp>.

Quite true. And I thought then, and still think now, that trial was a travesty. Even Catholic priests are entitled to due process based on corroborated evidence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5525-2005Feb7.html http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200503u/nj_rauch_2005-03-15 http://www.counterpunch.org/jw01292005.html http://www.slate.com/id/2112746/