[lbo-talk] Bulgarian presidential elections - 21% vote for racist, holocaust-denying lunatic

Julian Gollop gollop at bol.bg
Sun Oct 29 14:09:25 PST 2006

Many people will be relieved that incumbent president, Georgi Purvanov, won an overwhelming 78.7% of the vote in Bulgaria's presidential elections on Sunday. When asked to explain his victory Purvanov said 'we won because we were better'. This basically translates to: 'although I was an informant for the communist secret police, at least I am not a raving, neo-nazi lunatic.' Volen Siderov, the candidate of the ultra-nationalist 'Attack' coalition, was actually be pretty pleased with the result. Many commentators had written of 'Attack' after their parliamentary representation fell apart through splits and scandals, after their surprising 9% support in last year's general election. Now it seems that Attack is actually increasing its support - at least among the active electorate. It has to be noted that the turnout for the presidential elections was only 40%, reflecting Bulgarians severe disenchantment with the whole political system. Siderov is very adept at exploiting Bulgarians' disgust with corruption in every walk of public life, and Purvanov wisely refused to debate with Siderov during the election campaign. 'It was the mafia, who re-appointed Georgi Parvanov,' Pavel Shopov, Attack's vice-presidential candidate claimed at the final press conference. 'This is a sad and ill-boding fact for Bulgaria,' he added, calling the elections 'forged' and 'pure manipulation.' He claimed that they were the real and moral winner in the elections. 'Bulgaria's political scene will never be the same after these elections.'

Commentators have often compared Siderov to Le Pen, but I think even Le Pen would be slightly embarrassed to be associated with such an extreme conspiracy theorist. I have had the misfortune to read some of Siderov's book, 'The Boomerang of Evil'. He basically subscribes to the whole opus of Jewish conspiracy theories - 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion', 'Red Symphony' and so on. In a nutshell, freemasonry, Bolshevism and Nazism were creations of a conspiracy of Jewish banking elites who are trying to establish world government. Trotsky was apparently a 33rd degree mason, and the chosen ruler for Russia until Stalin thwarted the Jews plans. He describes '66 million' Russians killed during WW2 as a holocaust perpetrated by the Jewish elite. I have never come across such a crude amd plain nutty anti-semitic diatribe before. Scary stuff indeed.

Julian G.