[lbo-talk] Hitch: we must learn to become more ruthless

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 06:25:34 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Wall Street Journal - September 11, 2006
>
>Solidarity
>By CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS
>
>... The second point makes me queasy, but cannot be ducked. "We" -- and
>our allies -- simply have to become more ruthless and more experienced.

[I think -- and more importantly, others think -- we're plenty ruthless already.]

September 11, 2006

Blair Faces Angry Reception in Beirut

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Filed at 6:51 a.m. ET

BEIRUT, Lebanon -- Hundreds of people protested British Prime Minister Tony Blair's arrival in Beirut on Monday, angry over his perceived backing of Israel's bombardment of Lebanon.

The parliament speaker, a close ally of Hezbollah who was supposed to meet with Blair, left town in an apparent snub to the first British leader to visit Lebanon.

The country's most senior Shiite Muslim cleric said he held Blair responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Lebanese civilians during the 34-day war because Britain supported the United States in refusing to demand a quick cease-fire.

While Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora greeted Blair at the airport, hundreds of demonstrators gathered in central Beirut. The two leaders road into the city in a 22-vehicle motorcade, with hundreds of security forces guarding the route.

''Blair, you are not welcome in Lebanon,'' read a banner carried by protesters. ''In the name of the Lebanese people: Thank you for destroying our homes, neighborhoods and memories.'' ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Mideast-Blair.html?hp&ex=1158033600&en=6fb400b7ad2a5555&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Carl