OFFLIST Re: [lbo-talk] Divide and Conquer (This time in English: Spiegel onGermany/Near East)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 16:36:44 PDT 2006

I do not want to exceed the posting limit, so...

Helge Schneider is a jazz pianist who also is a sort of absurdist comedian. I don't know how to describe him, sort of dadaist comedy. As a jazz musician he is also not bad. He did a comedy western over 10 years ago called Texas, where God is portrayed as a hippy-biker who lives in a mobile home.

But he is probably not the best indicator of the Zeitgeist. Far more true to what the attitude in Germany is regarding the World War is that reactionary shit film with Bruno Ganz as Hitler. The Traudl Junge character is obviously how Germany sees itself, the innocent nation deceived and led into the war by an evil leader. And then the evil stares of the barbarian Russian soldiers at the end. Garbage.

<http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,PB64-SUQ9MTI4MzQmbnI9MQ_3_3,00.html>