[lbo-talk] Saturday in the city

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 12:12:03 PDT 2007

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> My eyes are going
> so I had switch back and forth between glasses and no glasses. I like
> to stand about as close as I can to painting so I can feel how they
> were painted. In other words, about where you have to stand to paint
> the painting. This is a public annoyance since nobody can see around
> me. That's why I usually go backward or dodge around to work that
> doesn't have people in front of it.

Why is this an annoyance? How else can you look at a painting and get any feel for it? What would be the point of looking at the original work from a distance that kept you from appreciating it? I think most museum patrons understand this. I never step in front of others of course but usually move to unoccupied works like you mention or else wait for the crowd in front of a piece to disperse so I am comfortable I'm not blocking the view of someone who is already there. Have you had someone say something to you about standing too close to a piece? Was there an ensuing melee?

John Thornton