[lbo-talk] Saturday in the city

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Apr 2 11:23:24 PDT 2007

> Have you had someone say something to you about standing
> too close to a piece? Was there an ensuing melee?

I was at LACMA a few years ago and noticed that they started putting laser range-finders in front of most things that would shriek if you got too close. I thought: well, that's the End Of The World for sure.

Then in the next room I saw some idiot absent-mindedly put his finger on a de Kooning and trace a line that ole Willem had made with a brush. The oil he left that day on the piece will be visible in ~20 years and will likely need to be restored in 50.

/jordan