[lbo-talk] not much time to avert catastrophic temp rise

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Apr 11 09:32:33 PDT 2007

> [WS:] Why do you keep calling them "liberals," Chuck? The re are not
> liberals, they are populists. "Liberalism" which in confused US political
> jargon means what other countries call "social democracy" supports public
> institutions as the guardians of public interests. Populism, otoh,
accords
> that role to individuals (the loonier, the better), and their loose
> assemblies, aka "movements" (which for the most part are downright
> lunacies.)
>
> Wojtek

Um "Liberalism" in the US really sits somewhere between social democracy and liberalism. Lets us call US liberals reform liberals and their counterparts inconsistent classical liberals + the universal franchise.

OTOH, my American father always said: "scratch an American liberal and 9 times out of ten you get a fascist." He was angry back then, something about "liberals" supporting the Vietnam War. At least "liberals" in the US do not go in for that kind of shit anymore:)/.

Travis