[lbo-talk] Neonazi musical tastes

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Tue Apr 17 12:55:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

Sorry for the linkspam mess--it looked fine on my screen.

:-)

See especially the sections on

BLACK METAL

and

INDUSTRIAL/NOISE/APOCALYPTIC FOLK/GOTHIC

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3719/is_200607/ai_n16855770/print <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3719/is_200607/ai_n16855770>

Chip Berlet and Stanislav Vysotsky. (2006, Summer). Overview of U.S. white supremacist groups. Journal of Political and Military Sociology 34(1), 11-48. (Special Issue on the white power movement in the United States, B. A. Dobratz and L. K. Walsner).

Yes, liberal handwringing can lead to some hyperventilated media coverage, but these folks are still out there organizing through musical venues and subcultures. Sure, instituionalized forms of White supremacy have more power, but it's like saying it is not worth studying scorpions because rats are more pernicious.

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Jason Sent: Tue 4/17/2007 3:30 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Neonazi musical tastes

In all seriousness, you're a researcher into these people so perhaps you can answer - how many of them are there? It doesn't seem like a lot to me.

The thing that stuck in my head about the KKK, for example, was that they mattererd a lot more when the local sherrif was a member. Today they all seem like isolated weirdos and fodder for the likes of Louis Theroux and Jon Ronson.

Jason.