[lbo-talk] Darfur: colonised by 'peacekeepers'

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 3 12:28:08 PDT 2007

BobW:

Actually, in a group forum, using the third person is politer than the second. It makes the subject of the remarks seem a little more general than personal.

[WS:] Interesting. That would be the case in my first language under certain circumstances, e.g. 3rd person used in conjunction with Mr. or Mrs. followed by the last name or official job title (e.g. "Mrs. so and so said," or "Mr. director said.") However, I always thought that in English the second person is the standard form of address, and using the impersonal 3rd person sounds condescending, especially when that person is present.

I wonder what is the view of other native English speakers on this list.

Wojtek