[lbo-talk] Dobbs on Democracy Now

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 07:53:54 PST 2007

John Gulick <john_gulick at hotmail.com> wrote: Alex Hogan sez:

When she gets a Greenspan or Lou Dobbs to come on her show, she too often acts like she is a college protester who has just cornered some bad guy who came on campus and she only has a minute to confront him with his crimes before she gets dragged off by security. John G sez:

Alex you really struck a chord here... uncomfortable (and uncomfortably distant) memories of Oberlin College 86-90 come to mind. It makes being an unwilling expatriate exiled from US left-liberal culture all the more comfortable...

To be fair to Ms Goodman, though, these establishment white guys carry a certain aura of social power with them no matter the context... they are able to imperviously bulldoze and bluff their way through "tough" interviews even when they are in the lion's den. I guess that is the flesh and blood meaning of cultural hegemony.

John G Akitacity Tohoku JP 010-1211

On the other hand, she's usually good with sympathetic guests -- like Ralph Nader, Seymour Hersh, Lt Watada, etc. But these are always within acceptable parameters of "progressive" politics. ANyone know who's the major funder of DN?

If I wake up in time (6AM Pacific) I always listen to her opening news summary. Nothing wrong with that.

BobW _________________________________________________________________ Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in. www.windowslive.com/smile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_oprsmilewlhmtagline ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk