[lbo-talk] AP: "Suburban sex parties draw complaints"

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Dec 7 16:20:50 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> One of the sinister innovations of Rudy's reign in NYC was to recast
> moralistic and political repression as a quality of life issue.
> Protests interfere with the flow of traffic. Rallies in the park
> trouble picnickers. Peep shows frighten parents. It wins over people
> who might otherwise not want to identify with Carrie Nation types.

Right. Giuliani has come up in discussions I've had with local folks about the Dr. Sketchy's bust. Infoshop ran an anti-Giuliani page during much of his tenure as mayor of New York City.

I'm going to do some digging to find out what this is really about. There is a city agency called RID which is charged with enforcing lawas against "lifestyle" crimes. They appear to be our de facto morality police.

I don't think the city is engaged in a Giuliani style campaign against us deviants. The city is more interested right now in keeping homeless people away from the new entertainment districts.

I'm more irked tonight because they've postponed this weekend's Dr. Sketchy's for another week.

Chuck