[lbo-talk] "Idiocracy"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 14:11:57 PST 2007

Carl,

I recently watched it as well (as I mentioned in a previous post) and was impressed, despite the b-movie-ness of some parts of it. Low brow, gangsta, bro-ham, nu-metal, etc. culture takes over America, and America suffers accordingly. It was filmed unflatteringly in Austin.

In the big pharma-company thread I mentioned the movie since in it, as you may remember, all medical research had been devoted to helping men get laid and stave off baldness while other types of medical problems run rampant. Priorities out of whack, in other words. Even though a premise of the movie s actually an incorrect interpretation of how evolution works, it is still funny as hell.

For some reason FOX dropped Mike Judge's _Idiocracy_ from big theater distribution just prior to its release. Maybe it's because he pokes fun at FOX being the dominant news network of the future, hosted by American gladiator types? A lot of folks seem to think the movie is itself low-brow, instead of a condemnation of the low brow-ization of American culture.

-B.

Carl Remick wrote:
> I used part of the LBO list's downtime productively
by watching Mike Judge's
> "Idiocracy," a film that was long held prisoner by
20th Century Fox and has
> now escaped to DVD. This is the greatest dystopian
movie since Terry
> Gilliam's "Brazil." It makes "Mad Max" look like
"Brigadoon."