(Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 8 10:49:30 PST 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> My own experience is that leftists hate on kinky BDSM sex ALL the
> time, maybe even more than honkie america. I've gotten in so many
> arguments about this with radicals over the years. It's so
> strange. Why do so many leftos have mean things to say about
> BDSM? Can someone on this list make whatever argument there is to
> make, about BDSM being bad or fundamentally oppressive or
> whatever? I just can't imagine what intellectual content there
> could be to any such assertion.

It's obvious, no? BDSM is violent and hierarchical. Even worse, it eroticizes violence and hierarchy, even if in a scripted, theatrical fashion. We're supposed to be gentle and egalitarian in our desires; anything else is unauthorized and deeply suspect. Humans shouldn't discharge their aggressive urges through play; we shouldn't have them at all.

Doug