(Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) bitch at pulpculture.org
Mon Jan 8 14:15:59 PST 2007

At 12:12 PM 1/8/2007, Jim Straub wrote:
>My own experience is that leftists hate on kinky BDSM sex ALL the time,
>maybe even more than honkie america. I've gotten in so many arguments
>about this with radicals over the years. It's so strange. Why do so many
>leftos have mean things to say about BDSM? Can someone on this list make
>whatever argument there is to make, about BDSM being bad or fundamentally
>oppressive or whatever? I just can't imagine what intellectual content
>there could be to any such assertion.

There was a concerted effort that emerged among a faction of radical feminists in the late 1970s. They saw the rise of a kink BDSM movement, born of the sex radical movement/sex liberation movement in general. They argued that it was nothing more than a return to the despised gender roles, the instantiation of the purest form of male domination, with perhaps the exceptions of gay males.

For these women, the enemy was not just rape, prostitution, and porn, but anything that meant men bonded with other men over the subjugation of women. Hence, porn, sex works, rape were The Enemy. To break the cycle through which males bounded specifically around bonding around women's subjugation was to smash the motor of Patriarchy.

Along with the demonization of BDSM was the demonization of gay males who, in the purest form of male bonding, dispensed with women all together and, of course!, engaged in the most despicable kinds of sex: anonymous sex, rough sex, BDSM, whatever. Relatedly, they pounced all over a growing group of out and about transgender activisits and people, declaring transmen (women > men) traitors and transwomen (men > women> infiltrators who were seeking to invade the women's moving, especial cultural separatist women's space, and take over.

YADDA. The concerned propaganda campaigns against all this culminated and honed in on anti-pornography campaigns in the very late 70s and early 80s. Anthony Kennerson can give everyone the low down on their connections with the rightwing. My area of interest is in the theortical inevitability of such alliances.

Those campaigns were traveling road shows brought to campuses and the like. The porn they showed was often from the BDSM genre and taken completely out of context to boot. Not surprisingly, all of that infiltrated the wider culture and, good male leftists who don't have a clue but what they suck down via mainstream media, think that the thing to do is reject, out of hand, anything that might appear to harm women or represent some sort of 'sicko' sexuality.

Meanwhile, those who fought this movement were marginalized by male leftists as engaged in women's fluff "sex" issues, marginalized by those women who agreed, and just generally ignored as some special interest group who didn't engage in serious, real politics. etc.

Today, people make ignorant comments about transgendered folks, BDSM, etc. when typing in their email programs, too fucking lazy to hit up wikipedia or something to get a freakin' clue before they open their mouths. That's the insult. I'd expect it from my rightwing stepmother. I don't expect to have to hear that shit here.

Queer Dewd: Where feminists can suck my delicate, feminine cock! http://blog.pulpculture.org