[lbo-talk] the latest skirmish in the sexpositivity wars

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 09:14:46 PST 2007

> Sorry if I seem to lack a sense of humor -- that's a standard charge
>against people who talk about sex and sexual bigotry as if it mattered.

The left needs as much talking about sexual bigotry as if it mattered as it can get.

Years ago I went to hear Abbie Hoffman speak. During the Q&A someone asked about gay rights. Hoffman was visibly uncomfortable with the question and after a long pause mumbled "anyone's freedom is everyone's freedom" or some platitude and moved on. Then only a couple years ago I saw a reggae band from Mexico playing here in Los Angeles. They wore their politics on their sleeves and once between songs the singer gave a little speech about human rights for everyone: women, children (pause) "even gays".

Shouldn't a vibrant left want to question what made Hoffman uncomfortable and what made the singer say "even gays"? I think these bdsm discussions help that questioning.