[lbo-talk] Sex and Stuff

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Jan 10 15:46:19 PST 2007

At 06:19 PM 1/10/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Jan 10, 2007, at 5:55 PM, joanna wrote:
>
>>Freedom means that anything can happen--depending on mood and
>>circumstance, as opposed to the requirement that something specific
>>needs to happen no matter what the mood or ciurcumstance.
>
>And why do you think it's any different with non-vanilla sex? People
>do all kinds of things.
>
>>I also find it, well, weird, that on a lefty list one faces
>>ridicule for asserting that love and/or sexual attraction are the
>>motive forces behind sexual congress.
>
>Ridicule? I hope not that. But like I said, we eat all kinds of
>things in all kinds of fashions in response to hunger (and not always
>USA). Same with sex - love or lust can be expressed in a thousand
>different ways. And the physical expression can change the feeling,
>too; it's not a one-way street.

hell. Randall Collins shows how sex and love are interaction rituals (in sociology, all social life is ritual depending on your brand of sociology) that depend on repetition and symbolism to actually work. and it's quite romantic and hot reading the stuff, too. 'least i thought so as 21 y.ol married to a 39 y.o. who couldn't keep up with my pace. why i married that guy i'll never know.