[lbo-talk] Sex and Stuff

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 11 10:07:38 PST 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> > > Freedom means that anything can happen--depending
> > on mood and
> > > circumstance, as opposed to the requirement that
> > something specific
> > > needs to happen no matter what the mood or
> > circumstance.
>
> Joanna, I don't understand where you get the idea that
> kinky sex means

Im afraid this is a bigger topic than I can get my head around using two finger typing, but I'll try again. My disagreement with Joanna starts with "Freedom means" -- nothing can follow that except either a banal tautology of some sort (which would be an insult to the intelligence of the reader) OR a really offensive proposition of the sort Marx condemned in the Third thesis on Feuerbach -- of dividing [my wording now] humans into two parts, one of which is more human than the other. Even if (which of course we all deny) there was anything in the world corresponding to "the requirement that something specific needs to happen no matter what the mood or circumstance" -- even if there exissted people whose sex (part or all of the time -- quia imposible est) followed this pattern, EVEN then I would find Joanna's argument to be in the same genre as homophobic or racist arguments. Her argument is an outrageous denial of the humanity of anyone that it references.

But perhaps she is being merely banal, and noting the trivial fact that there is always a disjunction between fantasy and actuality, theory and practice. Big deal. No one can judge the degree of freedom in someone else's private experience.

Carrol