[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Jan 11 14:00:31 PST 2007

All sex can be coerced. Can you show me some evidence that BDSM practitioners are more likely than non-BDSM practitioners to engage in coerced sex? I don't want the definition of bandage or discipline spelled out, I already know them. I want evidence that B&D relationships involve coercion with greater frequency than other sex relationships. The idea that it "seems obvious" doesn't cut it. Unless you can show me BSDM practitioners are more likely to abuse their sex partners in a non-consensual way the "unpleasant realities" about these relationships seem to exist only inside the minds of uninformed people.

John A. and Charles want to imply a connection to BSDM practices and non-consensual criminal behaviour. They think we should be on the lookout for it but they never offer any support for this connection beyond "It seems obvious." While I agree it seems obvious that many people will make this connection that is because the human minds attempts to forge links where none exist, not because of any actually existing links. I am open to reading any data that supports their position. Not writings about the possible connection but real data that supports this position. Short of that I will conclude seeing a danger in BDSM relationships is for some the same as seeing faces in clouds and for others an attempt to hide prudishness behind the issue of concern for others.

John Thornton

^^^^^

John,

This topic keeps repeating itself like a tape loop. I can't discuss it with you on this list. There is only one correct opinion on this issue on this list, and the hammer is about to come down on anyone who doesn't agree with that authoritative opinion.

Charles