[lbo-talk] Moderation

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jan 12 12:50:19 PST 2007

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) wrote:

> aside from which, it simply ignores a basic principle of social life in
> this here united states (west?) (globe?): people argue about the small
> stuff. they don't argue over -- shock -- that which they agree on!
> exactly what were we all supposed to do? Write long-winded essays saying
> what everyone already thinks about the situation and through we can do
> nothing on an email list anyway. give me a break. Lists are for
> interaction. If you want words confirming your every thought go read
> your favorite lefty rag where someone talks AT you and you absorb.

Exactly! People don't argue about stuff that they are already on the same page about. Look at discussions here. The most heated discussions on Infoshop News almost always involve the most surprising subjects.

It's like my currently inability to come up with poll questions for Infoshop News polls. I can't ask any poll questions with "George Bush" as an answer, because everybody will select that.

I think that people will also argue about subjects which are near and dear to them and about subjects which are less depressing than the IMPORTANT ISSUES. The latter is a form of escapism and blowing off steam. The former was very evident in the sexuality discussion.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/