[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Moderation

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Jan 13 17:57:04 PST 2007

At 08:31 PM 1/13/2007, you wrote:
>What? Would you like to explain the fascist nature of blue collar people
>from families, workplaces or communities where military service is
>commonplace, being disgusted with Bush personally for all the useless
>death of this adventure? What elements of corporatism or
>nature-as-family/leader-as-father ideology can be identified from an
>anecdote about ex-military people who work restoring old arms for museums
>feeling disdain for Bush?

Not to speak for Carrol, he's quite capable, but since I agreed with him, here's what I thought he meant.

First, Carrol isn't one of those people who is of the mind that the working class is, by definition, ripe for fascism. Nor am I. (Carrol wouldn't even like the idea that we're making distinctions between Uncle R and the HR staff who'll review the resume and cover letter.)

I think what he's getting at is the fact that there is a tendency to hate on politics, to view the problem as corruption by one or a few individuals of a system that is essentially good -- as opposed to recognizing that it's the very logic of the system itself.

It's not that my uncle is a fascist or would support a fascist per se, but under crisis conditions, it's easy to see how that sentiment can be whipped up into a fascist ideology that calls for a resolution of the problem -- corruption -- by the iron fist of a moral leader or leadership, a savior. No need to fundamentally change anything, a resignation that it could always happen again because of individual corruption and greed. So, protection comes in the form of a savior who'll swoop in to save the day.

Take my favorite fascist film, Batman. The problems people face are the result of corruption, uniquely evil individuals who want to take over the world or simply commit vicious acts of punishment, recycling childhood trauma. The answer: Batman!

Dist. Atty. Harvey Dent: We received a letter from Batman. 'Citizens of Gotham. Gotham City has earned a rest from crime. But should the forces of evil rise again to cast a shadow on the heart of the city, call me.'

Alexander Knox: Question. How do we call him?

Commissioner Jim Gordon: He gave us a signal.

[Commissioner Gordon activates the Bat Signal]

http://blog.pulpculture.org