[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Purer Than Thou

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:30:41 PST 2007

I've aired my opinion on mainstream electoral politics before, but once more with feeling since we're at it already anyway: There is an ongoing battle in the united states between the center and the far right. An intermediate step towards all social transformations hoped for by we the left, would be to move things to where the battle is between the center and the left. Not only is this not going to happen soon, or be easy, but the ongoing largely self-inflicted irrelevancy of the left makes it highly unlikely it will ever happen. Either way, for those of us who soldier on with our noses to the grindstone, part of the fight is going to involve defeating and dismantling the far right.

That means tap-dancing for Democrat Bastard Running Dogs--- with no illusions, idealisations, or even hand-wringing about the terrible awful fact that the guy I'm canvassing for is part of the imperial machine, oh no! The past eight years have shown in horrible relief the consequences of the far right winning political contests. Those who still disbelieve this, are so far down in the basement of crazyness jerking off to thoughts of the Third Period, that it's perfectly fine with me they're not coming along on the popular front--- they'd fuck it up if we let in the building.

That said, there's a lot of different strategic ways to look at left participation in a corrupt political contest tilted this far to the right.

On the topic of the Dem horserace going on now, if I had to bet on the victor I'd throw my money on Hillary, and a corrollary bet with that would be on ol' 'Walnuts' McCain as our next president--- and that. Will. Suck. Shit. So, is there another possible outcome we could bend our energies to? Well, Barack Obama, who is very charismatic and a decent solid liberal, has no compelling message on his campaign other than 'transcending' the battle between the center and far right (and we'll see how well his peace offering is regarded by the republicans--- those guys don't fuck around. It's why they're so successful. Dedicated, serious, competent, revolutionaries, of the far right). Also, fact: he cannot win the general election. I can give you a very compelling piece of evidence to that: this is the United States of America. Have we all met Honkie America, guys? You know, middle-income culturally conservative people in the suburbs? Yes, it is a sad fact, but Barack Hussein Obama would struggle to get 40%. Maybe someday in the future--- and he might make an awesome vp, to develop into a winner in ten years because I think some of these attitudes are getting better gradually. But not now, not in this fucked up country.

But I agree, he is very handsome, and a real good speaker, and it's so cute to see liberals have somebody to get excited about again.

However, we do have another opportunity, which does not come along very often. It just so happens right now that the most left-leaning major candidate, is also the one who would do best in a general election: John Edwards. Yes, trial lawyer moneybags has positioned himself to be the economic pooulist, and his money has been where his mouth has been: for the past few years, when you need a really big name for a town hall meeting during a contract fight in springfield ohio, or for mass rallies of the hotel workers in la, you call John Edwards, and he shows up on time. An Edwards presidency would be a better environment to rebuild the labor movement in, and to get about the business of popular education and organizing so that our tendency gets bigger while the right shrinks. Specifically for workers, there are a whole host of executive powers a prez has, that, if leveraged, can do great things for unions and the kind of people who benefit from having a union. Obviously, a McCain presidency, would be the opposite.

I have no imaginations or illusions about him, of course--- cog in the imperial machine, running dog millionaire, yada yada. He'd probably conduct his administration with more competence and less crazy ideology than Bush did, which would be cool, but a winning Edwards/Obama campaign would be no revolution. That's okay. If there was a revolution today not only would we not win it, we wouldn't even be a part of it; we'd be a pathetic footnote to a battle between millenarian christianity and secular professionals. We need to, as they say in sports, "have a rebuilding season." Get some masses in our camp, move the middle, build some institutions, expand some concrete victories, bring the troops home, restore some sanity to the public debate. Doing so would go better under edwards, in my opinion.

But the left hasn't been that into edwards, which I have found odd. Any thoughts on Mr Handsome from north carolina, and the left? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070122/d8d4ba6e/attachment.htm>