[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sun Jul 1 14:45:50 PDT 2007

wrobert at uci.edu

While I generally have enjoyed this conversation with you Charles, I think that this accusation of redbaiting is bullshit. Folks have called you on being a bit dogmatic, but this does not constitute redbaiting. This tactic of claiming critics are engaged in redbaiting seems to be the last refuge of the Marxist-Leninist....

^^^^^ CB: Sorry robert, but , it is indeed pretty typical redbaiting. Liberals pull out this "dogmatic marxist bullshit" all the time. I am no more dogmatic than you , Doug, or andie. And I'm going to blast it everytime it comes up. It's ad hominem , and a diversion from the debate, disgusting liberal nonsense.

^^^^

> Is it your position that Nietzsche doesn't champion the masters over the
> slaves ? Is it that he wants everybody to be a superman ? Maybe you mean
> misinterpret those. He seems to be nostalgic for imperial Rome , among
> other eras. Are you saying that I read him inaccurately, in that regard ?
> guess it seems obvious to me that N. champions masters over slaves, but
> maybe you read that differently.

Ultimately my problem is you are turning these into transhistorical categories.

^^^^^ CB: N. seems to be the one turning them into transhistorical categories, and I'm responding. He talks about masters and slaves, and doesn't even address the slave system that existed in his lifetime, nor the anti-slavery movement that ended slavery in the Americas. He's fantasizing.

^^^^^

N. would no doubt argue that those who dominated his society were operating under slave morality rather than the ethics he proposed.

^^^^ CB: That would be a pretty strange argument. The ruling classes of the 1800's were operating under slave morality ? That's nuts.

^^^^^

I doubt that N. was nostalgic for Rome or for any other golden past.

^^^^^ CB: Well, he seems to admire it. He does discuss it, doesn't he ? ^^^^^^

Coincidentally, I find N.'s dislike for counter-systemic movements problematic and generally prefer Spinoza's analysis of society, but that doesn't mean he supports the bourgeoisie.

^^^^ CB: He doesn't seem to like the working class.

robert woood