[lbo-talk] 4 July - Help me Think - Correction

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 09:27:39 PDT 2007

SHOULD HAVE READ: While I certainly DON'T think everyone there was a fascist

----- Original Message ---- From: Ismail Lagardien <ilagardien at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, 5 July, 2007 12:07:42 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] 4 July - Help me Think

He folks

This is a serious thing.... Let me get a few things out of the way, first. I do not hate the US, I don't think the US should be attacked. I think it is a great place to live; as great as any other country I have lived in...

I will write this in the simple way my mind works:

A close friend asked me to attend a 4 July Fireworks display.

My immediate response: I hate triumphalism. It's not really 'my' holiday. Don't care. Have too much work to do. I went anyway; for the experience and because I wanted to spend some time with same friend.

The display was on a military base.

I am uncomfortable among military types. Don't like bravado, displays of militancy, national pride etc... Damn offensive; I went anyway; for the experience and because I wanted to spend some time with same friend.

The experience and inevitable argument

I stood in line for almost an hour - to buy something called an 'elephant ear'.... Bile rose. I starting looking at the obesity, gluttony... the "hu, hu, hu, hu" evertime something patriotic was said of the tannoy, head dropped with the anthems and god bless america... by the end of the night i was livvvvvviddddddd!!!!!! Friend was hurt.

Two Questions:

How irrational am/was I? While I certainly think everyone there was a fascist, it was difficult to find someone who was, at least, subdued, and not dressed in some quasi-military/military garb, who did not get a thrill from the 50+ canon shots for each state... etc etc...

Friend suggested that my anger at obesity; the fact that I even looked/stared at people who were enormous, made me 'one of the people who cause people to be anorexic'. That I victimised 'fat people'... HUH!!! While I though the latter was bollocks? What's is up with this narrow analysis? Obesity is one thing! Anorexia is another! Whilethey're both social phenomena, they are caused by different pathologies.... anyway, we were both upset (by my self-rightous arrogant self)

Any/Every thoughts?

Ismail

___________________________________________________________ New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/