[lbo-talk] the depressing thing that is American politics...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 25 06:20:48 PDT 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> Miles wrote:
>
> "I think you have that the other way round: Bush's
> approval rating right now is about 28%, and the
> majority of the population wants to get us the fuck
> out of Iraq! No need to assume the minority of the
> U.S. population with their heads up their asses are
> the "mainstream". (Unless you're a Washington
> journalist
> --- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu>
>
> I dont know about that. Why, if the polls are right,
> are we getting no action from Congress?

What does public opinion have to do with what the U.S. government does or doesn't do? Public opinion is one element factored in, but not a very important element. The important elements here, however, are (1) the 60-year u.s. policy of maintaining hegemony in the Middle East and (2) honoring the power of FIRE. Public opinion is merely an annoyance in respect to these issues.

Carrol