[lbo-talk] Dallas could elect its first gay mayor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 5 14:12:29 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> > I thought that the delusion of being persecuted, discriminated or
> > wronged in one way or another was a prerequisite of being a
> > radical, no?
>
> No. Sure there's some crude and silly identitarian stuff, though it
> was more popular 10-15 years ago than it is now. But what's
> delusional about discrimiantion by race and sex? How many white
> people has the NYPD shot by accident? How many white men suffer
> discrimination in pay and promotion? What's delusional about the idea
> that capitalists exploit workers and trivialize work? What's
> delusional about the idea that Africa has gotten a raw deal from the
> west for the last, oh, 400 years? What, in other words, the fuck are
> you talking about?

Reading this brought back memories of that mad man from Peru -- Quispe? or something like that -- on the old marxism list. At one time I suggested that he couldn't be real. No one could fit a stereotype so neatly unless he was faking it. W almost seems to be out of a crude comic-book version of the liberal racist. I mean, can a real flesh-and-blood person actually mean the cliches he spouts?

Carrol