[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 8 15:38:19 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> John wrote:
>

>> Those 99.9% would love to be treated as Paris was. Her treatment was not
>> good news to people working for humane treatment for prisoners and
>> pretending that it was is totally disingenuous.
>>

> Why not turn this argument around? Instead of demanding Paris Hilton
> be fucked over like everyone else, why not demand that everyone else
> be treated like Paris Hilton.

I never demanded or expressed a preference for Paris to be treated as poorly as the majority of prisoners. I only said that for those of us working for prison reform Paris' humane treatment is nothing to celebrate since it is only a function of her elite status and not part of a general trend toward more humane treatment. It is detrimental to the cause of prison reform when instances like this occur since it is used as an example of the need for humane treatment trumping societies desire to punish when in actuality it is no such thing.

John Thornton