[lbo-talk] Pop Culture: Children of Men

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 9 11:12:47 PDT 2007

Ismail Lagardien wrote:

> Doug
>
> You are correct, of course, pop culture is important - as important as politics. My bad.
>
> Anyone see the film Children of Men? Anyone watch Zizek's analysis on the DVD?

The trouble is pop culture is infinite, and everyone without exception is ignorant of the great mass of pop culture except for that little island of it which the individual occupies him/herself. Doug has never once mentioned the pop culture to be found in Home Companion, Family Life, Auto Mechanics, Lutheran Church socials, womens book review circles, the WatchTower, PTAs (I think they've changed that name slightly), lawn care, gardening, advice columnists, daytime tv (other than soaps).

And is pornography part of pop culture or is it a particular cultural ghetto like sci-fi, crime fiction, etc. Is it only pop culture if one can sneer at it secretly while emphasizing its importance?

Just as no one knows more than a small slice of pop culture, so there is no one who does _not_ know an equally large small slice of pop culture.

Carrol