[lbo-talk] 200 greatest albums of all goddamned time!

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 7 21:16:31 PST 2007

Matt wrote:

> Yeah but fucking Kenny G did. **FUCKING KENNY G**

Kenny G?

The Bee Gees "Saturday Night Fever" is the best dance album from that period?

>>No Fugazi? No Dead Kennedys? No Ramones?

> No Joy Division? No Stone Roses? No MC5 or Stooges?

No MDC? How about all of the punk and heavy metal bands?

> They probably think punk is represented because they have Green Day.

Green Day is elevator punk muzak.

> Just about every Led Zep album though. Shocker. I like Led Zep but
> there is too much good music to put more than one on a list like
> this. Beatles too.

I love Led Zeppelin, but if you are selecting 200 top albums, you should only put in one Zeppelin album and maybe two Beatles. Throwing in multiples from these excellent bands just demonstrates the Baby Boomer bias of this list.

> This list ought to compile some essential listening and reading lists,
> if that wouldn't be considered too bane for such a heady list
> discussing economics and politics and the regular Hilton sister gossip
> from Doug. :-P

How about we start a thread where each person lists ten of their favorite albums?

This Top 200 list also shows no depth when it comes to music appreciation. I'm not a big music fan, but this list sticks to a narrow mainstream path. It's like the Oscars. You can't convince me that the best movie of the year just happens to be one with the most famous stars or the biggest box office. If the Oscars was truly about quality, indie films should win a large percentage of awards.

Picking a top 200 album list is going to be a large subjective exercise, but you would hope that it showed better diversity and more depth.

The list has 4 Rolling Stones albums and no Bjork.

The list has 5 Beatles albums and no Liz Phair or Chumbawamba.

The list has 3 Dixie Chicks albums and no Joan Jett.

Only one Neil Young album? WTF?

No Velvet Underground or Lou Reed. No Frank Zappa.

No George Clinton or P-Funk.

Pathetic.

Chuck