[lbo-talk] False comparisons, false hopes, false tsctics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:07:21 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Jim Straub wrote:
>
> > The Democrats were capital's go-to team
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if we're heading back in that direction. The
> Reps are looking ragged and discredited, and incapable of dealing
> with long-term things like climate change, about which big capital
> seems ever-more concerned. It'll be interesting to watch the
> evolution of this - and not the least entertaining part will be
> watching left-liberals deal with it.

Back in the '50s left-liberals had no trouble "dealing with" e.g. Hubert Humphrey -- author of the anti-communist act (I forget its exact title) and destroyer of the minnesota farmer-labor party. When he ran for mayor of Minneapolis, local labor asked for just one promise -- that he would consult with them on appointment of police chief. He blatantly ignored them once elected and appointed the one man they most did not want. (Again, I forget the details, but there was a detailed study of his early career in Ramparts back in '68 or so.)

Carrol