[lbo-talk] Revolutionary Leadership

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Nov 1 04:06:00 PDT 2007

At 12:49 PM -0500 31/10/07, Carrol Cox wrote:
>Mike Ballard wrote:
> >
> > Angelus wrote:
>>
>> Well, as I've stated before, I have a problem with
>> communists relating uncritically and positively to the
>> category of the "working class" to begin with. A
>> revolutionary reconstruction of society would involve
>> the abolition of the working class, not its
>> emancipation.
>>
>> ********************
>>
>> The abolition of the wages system would be both an emancipation from wage
> > labour and Capital and and the end of class rule. The working class would
> > become a free association of producers.
>
>Wait a minute. Angel raises (in radically condensed form but still
>clearly) a major challenge to the Marxist tradition (but not necessarily
>to Marx himself), and you blow it off with repetition of a slogan. Angel
>may be wrong, but the claim should be taken seriously if it is to be
>responded to at all.

Hang on a minute, is Mike actually disputing what Angelus said? That wasn't apparent to me. In my opinion, Angelus is not only absolutely correct, but I'm startled by the claim that a society which eliminates all classes is a "major challenge to the Marxist tradition."

However, Mike's statement that "The working class would become a free association of producers" might be somewhat ambiguous, but I don't disagree with the most obvious interpretation of that either. That is, that what was the working class would, in the absence of an opposing capitalist class, cease to be a distinct class (not having anything to distinguish itself from, this is axiomatic) and henceforth people would become free to produce their needs as they see fit. Though free co-operation between people.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas