[lbo-talk] black class gap

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 08:08:45 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 10:56 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> None of the above that Terkel does is tantamount to telling people you
> are one thing when in reality you are another.

She also in effect lied to her bosses. Is that bad? Do you suppose no coworker would have ratted her out?

And believe me, you don't have to be doing an expose on minimum wage working conditions to be blackballed at a job like that. After my unemployment insurance ran out I tried getting something just to pay the rent. My first attempt was at a place that delivered carpets. After some coaching from my girlfriend with the near-poverty background ("No, take off those corporate health insurance glasses") and leaving off that MS on the application (but leaving on the physics BA and experience as radiopharmaceutical technician, oops) the guy starts out with "We don't get a lot of nuclear physicists here." It went downhill from there, which was funny for a couple minutes.

-- Andy