[lbo-talk] Witches (Was Re: Wish I Was In Dixie)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 07:11:33 PST 2007

This is an old notion, goes back the work of a scholar whose name I forget, Mary Something, wrote back in the teens and twenties of the last century, who thought that the witch hunt was an attempt to stamp an an actual surviving religion. I'm not an expert on the witch hunt, but at one point I read a lot about it, and most scholars reject this idea. It got a second wind because certain feminists in the 70s and 80s latched on the ideas that the massacre of hundreds of thousands of mostly women wasn't patriarchal enough, there had to be an attempt to wipe out a supposedly matriarchal Goddess-worshiping religion.

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The English witch hunt craze was a pogrom against
> people who believed in Celtic religion? I find this
> hard to believe. Also, Ireland was Christianized
> before the Middle Ages. Christianity was spread
> there
> by missionaries from the Roman Empire. St. Patrick
> was
> born in 385. I doubt there were a whole lot of
> pagans
> left in 1650.
>
> Was this written by Clannad? ;)
>
> --- bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
> >

> > i'm not sure if that's true. (see below) what do
> you
> > hope to achieve by
> > slamming the south? is there some insight we gain
> > that will prevent lefties
> > from making some terrible mistake or wrong move if
> > we don't happen to
> > always, always remember that All That's Horrid
> About
> > Capitalism In the US
> > Is The South?
> >
> > It seems like a distraction. anyway, I don't know
> > how accurate this is, i'd
> > like to be corrected by a musical historian on the
> > list, but this is what
> > Michael Ventura wrote in an essay years ago,
> > pointing to some Irish (and
> > I've since heard, possibly Scottish) influence on
> > the rise of jazz and tap
> > dancing. From the essay, "Hear That Long Snake
> > Moan":
> >

> > I don't mean to get so academic, but remember,
> we're
> > on the trail of the
> > metaphysics of American music. It's a very winding
> > trail, it goes through
> > jungles, and there are places where it's
> completely
> > overgrown. The major
> > studies don't mention that Africans were not the
> > only slaves in the West
> > Indies; they were not even the only slaves who had
> > non-Christian --
> > usually called, in unconsciously slanted language,
> > "pre-Christian" --
> > cosmology. In the l650s, after Oliver Cromwell had
> > conquered Ireland in a
> > series of massacres, he left his brother, Henry,
> as
> > the island's governor.
> > In the next decade Henry sold thousands of Irish
> > people, mostly women and
> > children, as slaves to the West Indies. Estimates
> > range between 30,000 and
> > 80,000. The higher number seems quite likely, in
> the
> > light of a letter
> > Henry Cromwell wrote to a slaver, saying "it is
> not
> > in the least doubted
> > you may have such number of them as you thinke
> > fitt.. . I desire to express
> > as much zeal in this design as you could wish."
> This
> > Henry of the Uprighte
> > Harte, as he called himself, said in another
> letter
> > to a slaver who wanted
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs