[lbo-talk] Koppel goes to prison

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 13:50:59 PDT 2007

There's a solution to this problem that is much-beloved by the right and callers into conservative talk shows: charge prisoners room and board and/or make them work for their "free housing and meals" by doing labor for the state (making license plates, etc.), or for private companies (making circuit boards, as some inmates do in Texas). If the income from that doesn't cover all the housing/feeding/medical expenses, keep a running tally of what the prisoner owes -- then, when the convict is paroled or released, garnish his wages 'til it's repaid in full.

I have seen/heard this solution bandied about a lot. Pretty depressing. The philosophy towards folks in prison is often "Go as far as you like, I don't care." Can't extract enough retribution from them.

In fact, it seems like they're an easy target for misplaced anger and frustration about other stuff, easy sitting ducks, a socially-approved group to unleash one's pent-up (even unrelated) rage onto.

-B.

Dennis Claxton wrote:

"Premieres Sunday, Oct. 7, at 9 p.m. ET/PT What does the California prison system have in common with Harvard University? It costs precisely as much to house, feed and guard one prisoner for one year in a California state prison as tuition, meals and housing cost for a student enrolled for one academic year at Harvard."