[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Oct 4 10:39:26 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hillary would be great for my disillusionment scenario. There will be
> so much joy among liberals when she wins, and then when she governs
> from the center-right (Republican at the Pentagon, maybe, like her
> husband did?) they'll freak out. It may take time, and there could be
> a lot of excuse-making, but when they turn, it could be the best
> thing for the radical left since, like, Seattle.

Yes, I'm familiar with your scenario and we've debated it for several years. ;-)

Do you really think that there will be as much disillusionment as you think? After all, wasn't this supposed to happen after Bill Clinton? I think that there are more disillusioned people already, so will President Hillary mobilize them or radicalize more liberals? Wouldn't it be possible that more people would look at the situation and throw up their hands and abandon politics all together?

If President Hillary leads to Seattle II, I think *I* may give up on politics. If people are that shallow politically and can only revolt under a centrist Democratic regime, then I think we are doomed to a cycle of false hopes for the rest of my lifetime.

Chuck